Thursday, April 26, 2012

Deleting Old Books from Your Kindle


One of the many awesome things about checking out a library book for your Kindle is that it is "returned" automatically.  So not only is the book free, but you never have to worry about getting late fees.  However, all those "Your Loan Has Ended" notices can be very pesky on your home screen.  Luckily, they are pretty easy to get rid of.

For Kindles with a Keyboard:


On your Home screen, select the title you wish to delete, as The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo is selected here.  Using the square arrow key in your keyboard, click the right arrow once.





You will be taken to this screen.  Using the same square button, scroll down to "Remove from Device" at the very bottom and select it.  The title will now be deleted from your device, as easy as that!




For Kindle Touch:




On your home screen, touch the title you wish to delete like you would to open it. However, instead of just touching it, you need to touch and hold it for 2 seconds.  Don't lift your finger!

You will see this screen pop up.  You can lift your finger, and this time touch " Delete this Notice" at the bottom of the new box.


Finally, you will see another box up asking you to confirm that you want to delete the notice.  If you are sure, press delete.  Your expired title will disappear!

If you don't know how to get free public library books for your Kindle or Kindle apps, check out this video tutorial created by Stark County librarians:






10 comments:

  1. doesn' work for kindle touch, when i hold my finger in the book instead of delete I have: move to archive items

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, thanks for commenting! If you are seeing "Move to Archive" instead of delete, it means your library loan has not yet expired. You can either return the book manually through the "Manage Your Kindle" portion of the Amazon site, or simply wait the full 14 days for your loan to expire. Once you see the message "[Loan Ended]" next to the title, you will be able to delete it.

      Delete
  2. Brilliant! worked for me!! thanks

    ReplyDelete
  3. what about fourth gens

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have Kindle touch. Sometimes, isn't possible delete documents from kindle, because delete button is not displayed. In this situation I think you must visit your personal library on amazon.com. Delete items from library and then tap menu -> Sync and Chceck for Items. After this delete button should be displayed.

    Sory for me english, I am from Slovakia.

    ReplyDelete
  5. THANK YOU I have been trying to figure this out for a while. The instructions I have tried previously tell me to delete them from Manage My Kindle on Amazon.com which doesn't work. This is exactly what I needed. Thanks so much!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. when I deleted from kindle 2 it just moved to archives. how do I remove it form there?

    ReplyDelete
  7. So easy when you have the right information! Thank you. I am deleting purchased books, not library books, and it works just fine.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi, I am trying to delete loan ended books from my kids kindles(e-reader). This is a touch kindle. When I hold the book for a few seconds, I get a message to "Add to Home". It does not give me the option to delete. I have already deleted these books from my Amazon account but they still show up here. So confused!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you! Those were really starting to annoy me and I couldn't figure out how to get rid of them.

    ReplyDelete